The million dollar question we all want the answer to is how do you learn to find the humor in life? Especially it feels like life is handing you tacky lemons? There are lots of ways you can develop, or refine your sense of humor, and it is a lot easier than you may think.
- Make Humor a Focal Point. Find a few simple items, such as funny comic strips or photos that make you giggle. Hang them up at home or in your office– where you will see them often. Take a 5 minute “funny bone break” and watch funny clips or shows you remember from your childhood. Add some of your favorite comedians to your iPod to shuffle through when you need a good laugh break.
- Everything is Funny– You just have to find it. Even the most stressful situations can be funny– it’s just all in how you choose to look at them. Allow yourself to feel the anger, pain or stress. Then try to find the one funny thing from the situation and focus on that. By doing that you will feel your stress start to fade away and your outlook on life start to change. Even if it feels forced at first, practice laughing. It does your body good.
- Share a laugh. Make it a habit to spend time with friends who make you laugh. And then return the favor by sharing funny stories or jokes with those around you.
- Knock-knock. Nothing is funnier than hearing a good joke. Especially when it’s well delivered. Browse through your local bookstore’s selection of joke books and get a few rib ticklers in your repertoire that you can share with friends.
- Know what isn’t funny. Never laugh at the expense of others. Some forms of humor are not appropriate. Use your best judgment to discern a good joke from a bad, or hurtful one.
With so much power to heal and renew, the ability to laugh easily and frequently is a tremendous resource for surmounting problems, enhancing your relationships, and supporting both physical and emotional health.